The little town of Broughton-in-Furness dates back to the 11th Century and is situated to the south west of the Coniston Fells and at the mouth of the Duddon Valley making it a great base to explore some of the quiter and most beautiful parts of the Lake District.
St Mary's Parich Church was consecrated in 1547 is the oldest building in the village and is thought to date back to the 12th Century
Broughton was one of the most important market towns in South Lakeland with regular markets for sheep and lambs from the Duddon, Crake and Woodland Valley. In the centre of the village is the old market square complete with fish slabs where salmon and trout from the River Duddon would have been sold alongside sea fish from Millom and Haverigg. The properties that surround the suare are mainly Georgian and reflect the prosperity of that era. They were designed to reflect a London Square and in the centre is an obelisk that was erected in 1810 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George III.
Today the village is both a great place to stay and to visit with excellent village pubs such as the Black Cock, The Manor Arms and The Old Kings Head. Beswicks Restaurant on The Square is popular with locals and visitors alike and has a renowned a la carte menu available each evening. For those wanting to ca
ter for themselves at their cottages there is Melville Tysons Grocers and
Butchers that stock as wealth of locfal produce and a fantastic deli counter. In addition the village still has its own village bakery, a Post Office and a selection of craft shops selling everything from slate, silver to locally made woolen rugs, blankets and throws. For those who enjoy outdoor activities The Mountain Centre on market street stocks a great range of equipment and lots of local advice.
Just a couple of miles from the village is the small hamlet of Broughton Mills and the highly acclaimed Blacksmith's Inn that offers great local food and beer.
From Broughton-in-Furness there is lots to see and do. To the north is the village of Ravenglass home to the Ravenglass and Eskdale Steam railway, the oldest narrow gauge railway in England, and Muncaster Castle, said to be the most hauted castle in England, which is also home to The World Owl Trust which offers the opportunity to view the large collection of owls at close quarters, some of which are flown daily on the Castle lawns. The drive through the Duddon Valley and Over the Wrynose Pass is certainly not to be missed and offers amazing views across the southern Lake District from on of the most spectacular mountain roads in the UK.
To the north is Coniston Water and the Coniston Boating Centre in Coniston can offer a wide range of waterborne activities. The choices for walkers are very diverse from low level paths through the Duddon Valley to the high level mountain walks on the Coniston and Eskdale Fells and the famous ascents of Great Gable and Scafell Pike from Wasdale.
Broughton Tourist Information Centre: 01229 716115
Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway: www.ravenglass-railway.co.uk
Muncaster Castle: www.muncaster.co.uk
Blacksmiths Arms: www.theblacksmithsarms.com
The Black Cock Inn: www.blackcockincumbria.com
The Manor Arms: www.manorarmsthesquare.co.uk
Beswicks Restaurant: www.beswicks.co.uk
Melville Tysons Grocer & Butcher: www.melvilletyson.co.uk