Oh, I do like to be beside the sea. We say like, we mean love. On the west coast of Cumbria, not far from the Lake District National Park boundary lies a serene haven. A vast expanse of sand and pebbles with views that stretch out on a clear day to the Isle of Man. Welcome to the delightfully unassuming Silecroft Beach....
Popular with families, dog walkers, fishermen, kite surfers and horse riders, you might be mistaken for thinking the beach would be terribly overcrowded but the truth is that on a spring day or warm summer’s eve you might be lucky enough to bump into two or three likeminded people.
Overlooked by Black Combe (a great climb if you are in the area), Silecroft enjoys big sky views, fantastic sunsets and bracing sea air, there is even an ice cream van parked up during the summer months, should temptation get the better of you (we can never resist).
So on your next visit to our little corner of the UK why not step away from the hustle and bustle of The Lakes for a little while, enjoy a day on the beach with the kids, collect some pebbles, take in a sunset or just let your canine companions stretch out their legs. Just don’t tell everyone….
Here at The Coppermines Lakes Cottages we have several cottages ideally situated for exploring the delights of Silecroft and the nearby Western Lake District.
Widgeondale Cottage, Nr. Duddon Bridge (sleeps 2-4) – perfect for couples and families looking to explore the quieter side of the Lakes.
Mill Cottage, Broughton Mills (sleeps 2-6) – perfect for active families with walks and cycle trails available from the front door.
Low Hollin Cottage, Seathwaite (sleeps 2-6) – perfect for families and friends looking to switch off and explore their surroundings.
How to get to Silecroft from Coniston – 35/40 minutes journey time:
Silecroft Beach Postcode: LA18 4NY
• From Coniston head south on Yewdale Rd/A593 towards Broughton in Furness
• Continue to follow A593
• At the High Cross Inn turn right onto A595 following signs to Millom
• At Thwaites Church (left hand side) Continue to follow A595 towards Workington/Whitehaven.
• You will eventually reach a junction. Turn left onto A5093 towards Millom.
• After 0.2 miles Turn right onto Main St (Silecroft)
• Follow the road through the village, over the train line and towards the beach.
• Enjoy (consumption of ice cream optional)!